The ultimate goal of any research project is to draw valid conclusions about the research questions from the data collected. Edvance Research has broad experience in the development and field testing of measurement instruments ranging from standardized and criterion referenced assessments to surveys, questionnaires, checklists, rating scales, and evaluation forms.
Our researchers also possess vast experience and expertise in working with existing public and private education databases. In addition our researchers have extensive backgrounds in psychometrics and complex statistical modeling. Our research staff has the capacity to develop and evaluate measures and assessments for nearly any purpose, and the staff also understands the nuances of state assessment systems ranging from response-to-intervention models used in districts to state assessments and accountability systems. The research staff has proven capability to conduct complex statistical modeling of all types of data sources, including longitudinal data-systems, using techniques such as hierarchical linear modeling or longitudinal growth curve analysis. The subsequent findings and conclusions of our research teams’ data analyses provide key education stakeholders with high-quality research-based facts to inform critical policy decisions.
Edvance conducts a variety of high-quality, rigorous research based on the goals of each project. They range from:
- Basic research, which may be small-scale pilot studies, or reviews of the research literature designed to further the development of theories or hypotheses
- Quasi-experimental research using available LEA or SEA longitudinal data sources to bring the best-available current evidence to bear, in order to inform the design of more rigorous research
- Randomized Controlled Trials that are designed to find out how well an intervention works under carefully controlled conditions
- Effectiveness trials, which determine how well an intervention works in the real world
All of our rigorous research is driven by stringent review standards for education research, such as the U. S. Department of Education’s What Works Clearinghouse and the nonpartisan Coalition for Evidence-Based Policy. It is our goal that all of our studies match these standards and our clients know that the research we conduct will be judged as meeting the highest standards of rigor.
Edvance also has extensive experience in a wide array of activities designed to inform federal, state and local education policy. These activities, which require a high level of understanding of the issues and challenges inherent in conducting policy analyses include:
- Assisting federal, state, and local education agencies to develop in the application of research to implement successful education programs that serve the needs of all student populations
- Providing policymakers at the federal, state, and local level with scientifically sound research results to make informed decisions and to bridge this research to action through development and refinement of policies and legislation to improve student achievement
Key decision makers at all levels actively engage Edvance to conduct policy analyses and studies related to major education policy issues. Policy areas addressed in our work include assessment and content standards alignment, college readiness standards alignment and indicator development, professional development cost effectiveness, instructional intervention and best practice effectiveness, federal policy impacts, statewide formative assessment, early warning indicators, afterschool programs, and state longitudinal data systems.